Thursday, March 26, 2009

rise & fall & rise. lie & lying.

~'Hey Cowboy' by Junior Bonner because i'm getting back into the swing of things, all hips and lips and hotpants. 
& because i couldn't choose just one song this time:

~'A cream or a lotion?' by James Newton Howard because it's a lilting little ditty that is a very smart tease.

~Let the Right One In for a few reasons: 1. any movie that includes a woman being attacked by cats clinging to her ankles, shoulders, neck, back, chest is a-ok in my funny-book (although i'm not sure the Norwegians intended it to be funny), 2. i watched the English-dubbed version and it sounded as though the voice-overs where calling it in from their couches, stoned cretins, eating Doritos, having never seen the movie before. in other words, the voice overs were a judd apatow movie, 3. i think it's quite possibly the best title, at least of the year and 4. i loved the ending. 

~"Clever men are good, but they are not the best." -Thomas Carlyle because clever in the crafty sense gets to be sometimes too much and overrated.  there is a cleverness to kindness and i'll take that over crafty any day of the week.



hiya gang. sit for a spell. bit of exciting news on the homefront: Louie and i will be moving soon into a one-bedroom apartment! This is good because i'm starting to go a little stir crazy in my studio. it's not small by any means, but i can't help but feel the walls compressing. in reality, it's most likely my state of mind that's crumbling. the really cool thing about it is a large-ish balcony. long enough for me to stretch out and summon tan lines amongst the mint and rosemary. i've started a tomato plant as well. even better is that there is ample sunlight so my skin can soak up the vitamin d as my liver soaks up the vitamin v (or rejects it, whatever the case may b).

so busy april: the move, a beer/baseball-filled visit with my sd sis and then i'm going to see the Cold War Kids at a great venue that holds a buncha memories.  big fan (thanks, prejza).  all that and i'm trying to take on another work project so i can make my future travel a smidge more comfy. as promised, more on that later. i guess i must be superstitious because i hesitate to really write about it just yet lest i jinx it. never know how this old body is going to get in the way of things (again).

i want to raise a proverbial toast to 2 close pals of mine - you know who you are.  west coast pals and east coast pals of mine have had to put down their fuzzy buddies and that ain't easy. i take such things to the heart of my hearts.  my east coast pal is a mother of three and noted how her pooch offered up to her a different type of work and how much she appreciated it.  great way to put it. i've got to say that it's the best responsibility i've had, myself.  when i feel like i want to bemoan being owned by a dog, i realize what a privilege and fortune it is to be part of this little life and help make it better, good, great even.  never will there be another relationship so rewarding and delightful.
on the flip:
my vet checked out the lump on my buddy's neck and "declared" it "potentially cancerous". have i not had enough of this bullshit around me already? 
to check for certain is $1k. so, he either has cancer, i find out and can't afford the treatments (actually, i wouldn't wish chemo on my worst ex-boyfriend, so there'd be no need for it), or i spend the thou$and+ and find out that it was just a harmless tumor.  
some medicine i trust, some doctors i trust, most i don't. 
so no matter. i keep him in check. he romps about like a 5 year old and wags his tail enough to make me scheme over how to channel the energy to keep my lights on at nite. i honestly think the dog sleeps less than i do.  everytime i wake up, there he is, staring at me, eyes as wide as the full moon.  maybe i should flip on 'keeping up appearances'.  

all in all, all is well. 
i know snow is beautiful and quiet, i know we need the rain, but this sunshine calms me like an arm around my shoulders.

here's another 15 minuter: i need to pull away from using pronouns so much.

words: basket & route

sweet lemons

I fill my basket full with meyer lemons to give my lover.
He hasn't spoken to me since it was said that I'd kissed Manoli by the well.
It was he who kissed me and tasted of salted onions and beer. He tricked me by saying that my hem was unraveled, though I'd only just mended it.
But everyone knows that Manoli takes what he wants and is too strong for me to resist.
He is too strong even for Carmella to cast a lasting spell.
She says the best I can pray for is to get my lover to admit that he believes me. She says this with laughter for, in our village, to take the side of a woman makes you just as weak as one.

I have rubbed it so often that my St. Lazarus charm has tarnished please don't give me a broken heart please don't give me a broken heart
I kiss each lemon, place it in the basket and walk to his shed.

No one walks this route because it is overgrown with the spiny berberis but it is the shortest and I take it because I miss him.

Halfway there, a flash of silver catches my eye and I hear Manoli whistle.
~~


headed out, folks.  thanks for playing. here's to firsts and new memories.  cheers.



No comments: